The purpose of this assignment is to reflect on the new information presented in this book. It is meant to increase your awareness and critical thinking about the experience and treatment of common psychological disorders in the US and around the world.
Reading to Critically Evaluate
Please read Chapter 4 in Crazy Like Us: The Globalization of the American Psyche by Ethan Watters.
You are encouraged to ask questions of the reading as you read, make notes of areas of confusion, surprise or disagreement, and mention this in this assignment!
- Write two paragraphs (minimum of 200 words) in which you identify Watter’s main thesis of the chapter and discuss your overall thoughts and reactions to the main thesis.
- Write a one-paragraph response (minimum of 100 words) to ONE of the following questions listed below.
- Include two quotes from the chapter that stood out to you. Include the page number or time stamp where your quotes can be found.
Questions (choose only one)
1. What questions form in your mind when you learn that most of the influential studies on SSRIs were ghostwritten by private firms hired by drug companies?
2. Did you find it difficult to grasp the idea that the Japanese did not always connect suicide with depression and in fact viewed it as an expression of the purity of the Japanese character (something to be admired, excused or seen as an act of personal resolve)? Why or why not?
Full points for the assignment will be earned when all 3 portions of the assignment are met. Two-paragraph (minimum of 200 words) general reaction (6pts), one-paragraph (minimum of 100 words) response to question (2pts), two quotes with page numbers/time stamps (2pts). Check out the rubric!