You will create an Elevator Pitch as a way to respond to “Tell me about yourself.”
- An “Elevator Pitch” is a concise, carefully planned, and well-practiced description about yourself (or company) that motivates the listener to learn more about you in the time it would take to ride up an elevator. Your Pitch should include the following:
- Start with an Essential Truth about yourself. For example, “I love helping people learn how to create compelling messages.”
- Follow the STAR Method to highlight relevant experience.
- End with call to action/question back to listener.
- Create a 30 second-1 minute speech. Keep the following in mind:
- You should deliver your speech extemporaneously. You should not use a note card.
- Do not read your speech, but use as much eye contact as possible.
- Practice, and time yourself.
- Refer to Assignment 6: Elevator Pitch Critique Sheet [PDF] Assignment 6: Elevator Pitch Critique Sheet [PDF] – Alternative Formats for how your speech will be critiqued.