Copyright, Mashups, and Creative Commons
First, learn about Creative Commons and Read/Write Culture through the following three videos:
You have seen how digital technology like YouTube allows people to easily create mashups and remixes – hybrid songs and/or videos through a combination of pieces of many other songs and videos and/or original content – which can violate copyright laws.
- Do you think the law should allow these kinds of creative expressions? Why?
- How can creative culture of user generated content be revived? Why is it important? Or not?
- Is Creative Commons good for copyright holders and market competition? Why? Or not?
- How should these intellectual property rights of people who create images, videos, and music be protected? Why is it necessary?
- Should digital rights management (DRM) technologies be utilized? Why?