Imagine that some of your colleagues mention using cognitive behavior therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy, acceptance and commitment therapy, and reality therapy. Your colleagues continue to say that, based on their experiences, they really like these therapies, and they appear to work. Your instincts also tell you that perhaps they might be helpful for your client in your case study. However, from Week 1, you recall that experiences and instincts as sources of knowledge are quite limited because they are biased. Instead, it is important to utilize existing research and data to support your choices of interventions. Theory helps inform the evidence-based practice process that should guide social workers’ practice.
In this Discussion, you examine the research related to a therapy based on cognitive or cognitive behavior theory to determine its effectiveness.
- Recall the client from the case study you have been using in this course. You will apply your research for this Discussion to that client.
- Select one therapy from the following: cognitive behavior therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy, acceptance and commitment therapy, or reality therapy.
- Conduct a search in the Walden University Library for one peer-reviewed research study about the effectiveness of the therapy you selected.
- Note: You must select a study that has not already been used by a colleague in the Discussion. Each student is required to identify a unique research study.
- Remember when looking for studies to take into account your client’s age and developmental stage, and presenting problem.
Then Post a response to the following:
- Provide the reference for the study you found using APA guidelines. Be sure to provide a link to the article.
- Identify the therapy that you chose.
- Briefly paraphrase, in 2–3 sentences, the methodological context (i.e., research method, how data was collected, and the instruments used) of the study and the findings.
- Explain how the findings are applicable or appropriate for the client in your case study.
- Determine whether you would use or not use the therapy you selected for the client in your selected case study (consider how culturally relevant it is, how aligned it is with social work ethics, etc.) and explain why.
Note: See the case study of Ella Shultz below.