Whether you are just beginning your career in information technology or taking the next step in your career path, it is vital to understand the numerous opportunities available to you within this field. In this project, you will be conducting a survey of the information technology field that includes several career options aligned with your interests and begins to sketch out the training and certifications necessary for those roles.
The Information Technology Field: Before you explore career options in information technology, it is important to distinguish between the various disciplines that exist within this field. In this section, you will be considering these disciplines, as well as two primary tools for information technology professionals: programming and scripting.
- IT Disciplines: To begin your report on careers within the information technology field, define the distinction between computer science, information systems, engineering, and information technology. In your description, first define each discipline and then describe how that discipline is related to others within IT. In your definition, address the following:
- What roles and careers within the IT field are related to these disciplines?
- What tools and technologies are most applicable to these disciplines?
- Programming and Scripting: Following your description of the different disciplines within information technology, explain the relationship between programming and scripting and their uses within the IT field. In your explanation, first define scripting and programming, then address the following:
- What distinguishes a script from a program?
- How would an IT professional use scripting in their work? How would they use programming?
- Describe a potential case where an IT professional would use a scripting language in their work. Describe a potential case where an IT professional would use a programming language in their work.
Information Technology Careers: Once you have defined the fields available in the world of information technology, it is time to start examining careers. For this section, you will be examining three positions within your chosen area of interest.
- Careers of Interest: First, identify careers of interest within the IT field. You will choose an appropriate entry-level position, mid-level position, and ultimately the position you will strive to achieve. Then, determine whether each position is most closely aligned with information technology, computer science, information systems, or engineering. In your report, describe the roles and responsibilities of each of these careers. As evidence, ensure that you are submitting the job postings referenced in your report.
- Tools and Technologies: Next, within each of your identified careers, describe the tools and technologies specific to your chosen IT roles. For each career, identify and describe various tools, including hardware and software, that a professional working in that career would use.
- Training and Certifications: Finally, identify education, training, and certifications necessary for chosen IT roles. For your identified roles, describe these trainings and certifications, using the information in your identified job postings and descriptions as a reference. For each training and certification, describe its utility in the information technology field and sketch out how an interested person would obtain each certification. Finally, describe the transferable skills within these certifications and how they might prepare you for other careers and fields within the information technology profession.
What to Submit
To complete this project, you must submit the following:
Information Technology Career Report
You will create a report describing the information technology field, including distinguishing between the various disciplines within the IT field and identifying at least three careers of interest within the field. This report should be between 500-600 Words.