Title and Abstract
Research Paper (including Title Page/ Abstract instructions)
You will be working on a 12-15 page, APA style research paper for the duration of this course.
The paper is broken up into components in which you will be required to complete at different
intervals throughout the course. A working draft for this research paper will be due in week 6 for
peer review. A revised draft version will be submitted for instructor review in week 7. The final
research paper will be due at the end of week 8. This week, you will turn in your title page and
The final research paper consists of:
• The abstract is a short (about 100-500 word) summary of the entire paper. It
should include: goals and objectives, results, and conclusions. It is usually one of the
last parts of the paper to be written.
• The introduction also has three main purposes. First, it provides background and
motivation for your topic (usually includes a review of current literature on the topic).
Second, it describes the focus and purpose of the paper you are writing. Third, it gives
an overview of what is contained in the paper’s various sections.
• This section describes what you did, how you did it, gives strategies, sample
calculations, diagrams and circuits, and descriptions of equipment. The goal here is to
give the reader sufficient information to be able to repeat your work if desired.
(Of course some “standard techniques” can be simply referenced).
• This section is where you prove your point with the data. Give graphs and tables of
costs, profits, whatever your data is. Also give some description or guide to help the
reader recognize your important points.
• Here you state what you learned or proved. What are the “take home messages” or
major accomplishments of this work? You may also describe interesting observations,
new questions, and future work here.
• A list of the references you used in the work & writing the paper.