Choose one of the following diseases*:
- Crohn’s Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Celiac Disease
Conduct research online in order to answer the following questions:
- What are the cellular/molecular mechanisms that underlie this disease? (What are actual “abnormalities” or “deficiencies” causing the disease?)
- How common is this disease? Are there any particular susceptibility groups? (Be sure to also consider any genetic and environmental susceptibilities)
- What are the disease symptoms?
- What mechanisms are responsible for these disease symptoms? (Note: this is different from answer to question 1.)
- How is the diagnosis made? What particular clinical tests are used to make this diagnosis? This answer needs to be precise and specific. For example, “blood test” is not a sufficient answer. Your answer must indicate what cellular or molecular components are measured and how, and what particular parameters are used to make the disease diagnosis.
- What is the prognosis for someone with this disease?
- What are the treatment options? (Be sure to mention mechanisms of action of treatments and to consider novel treatments recently approved or in development.)
Answers should be 1-10 sentences per question
1 page total